Long-Term Disability Lawyer in Philadelphia
Long-Term Disability Denied? Call The Beasley Firm!
Responsible people make sure that, if something happens to them, their families will be taken care of and they won't become a burden to the people they love. For more than a century, there has been a simple way to do that: by buying individual long-term disability insurance. If your disability insurance claim was wrongfully denied, we may be able to help.
For over 60 years, The Beasley Firm has set the standard for representing injured workers, consumers, and patients, obtaining over $2 billion in jury awards and settlements. We focus our work on claims in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, but the legal principles of long-term insurance disability claims generally apply to other states. We stay connected with insurance bad faith lawyers throughout the country and can refer you to experienced, qualified attorneys if you have a claim elsewhere.
Don't let insurance companies victimize you twice. Call The Beasley Firm at (215) 866-2424 to speak with a Philadelphia long-term disability attorney for a free evaluation of your case!
Insurance Company Tactics
Under the law, disability insurance companies are required to deal fairly and act in good faith with their policyholders, not deprive the insured of the benefits of the policy. The unfortunate truth, however, is that many insurance companies don't follow this guideline. Often, they deny claims without fully investigating or evaluating them, fight medical diagnoses, and challenge every claimed loss-while trying to negotiate a settlement that gets them off the hook and gives you less than what you bargained and paid for. Our firm keeps the insurer on their toes and forces them to comply with the law.
We bring claims against all major insurers, including the following:
- The Standard Insurance
- Harleysville Life Insurance
- Unum Life Insurance
- United of Omaha Life Insurance
- Liberty Life Assurance
- John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance
- Lincoln National
- Berkshire / Guardian
- Provident Life Insurance
- Hartford Life and Accident Insurance
- Life Insurance Company of North America
- Prudential Insurance
- New York Life
- Paul Revere
- AXA Equitable Life Insurance
- Reliance Standard Life Insurance Company
- Metropolitan Life ("MetLife")
- CIGNA Life Insurance
We also review all major disabling medical conditions, from the claims where the insurer admits the injury but disputes the severity (like spinal cord injuries and traumatic brain injuries), to the diseases the insurance companies stubbornly refuse to admit a policyholder has, like Crohn's Disease, Degenerative Disc Disease, Lupus, and Multiple Sclerosis.
The Beasley Firm Keeps Insurers on Their Toes
- Gathering Evidence: In Pennsylvania, all insurance claims must be completed within 30 days unless the investigation cannot reasonably be completed in that time. Insurance companies are notorious for delaying your claim in order to save money. The first thing our lawyers do is gather all your important information, such as W-2 S, medical records, and medical bills, to show the full extent of your economic losses right from the beginning, so the insurance company can't claim they didn't know about the extent of your injuries and financial losses.
- Getting Medical Care: When doctors diagnose severe conditions, insurance companies and employers have to pay more on claims, grant more sick leave and family medical leave. They try to send policyholders and employees to doctors who will minimize the patient's injuries. Through our extensive work in personal injury cases, we are intimately familiar with the physicians in Central and Southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Whether you need an orthopedic surgeon, neurologist, general surgeon, or other expert, we can help make sure you're properly diagnosed and receive the care you need.
- Interpreting Correctly: Lastly, we can ensure that insurance policies will be interpreted in your favor. Insurance companies try to give themselves an "out" and loosely interpret these policies in a way that will benefit their company, not the victim. Our Philadelphia long-term disability lawyers can fight for you.
Proving "Bad Faith" in a Long-Term Disability Claim
In general, lawsuits by policyholders against insurance companies revolve around two legal claims: breach of contract and "insurance bad faith."
- Breach of Contract: When an insurance company doesn't pay a claim they should have paid, that is a breach of the insurance agreements, and the insurance company is responsible to pay the full value of their provable claim.
- Bad Faith: Bad faith can be defined as a breach of duty towards an individual for self-interest. In this case, it would mean that an insurance company denied a claim on an unreasonable basis, for self-gain.
In Pennsylvania, if a claimant can prove "bad faith" by the insurance company, they can recover additional damages, such as punitive damages, attorney's fees, and cost of suit. There are many ways to show "unreasonable" claims handling. We do it by scrutinizing every part of the insurance claims file, by deposing the adjusters and their supervisors, by serving a subpoena for their internal policies - as well as speaking with insurance industry experts, even former employees of the company. We then show how the conduct violated basic requirements for insurance companies.
$2 Billion Awarded on Behalf of Our Clients Since 1958
Unlike the insurance companies, we know that when you are hurt, disabled, and unable to work, you often don't have the funds to pay your ordinary bills, much less pay for a lawyer. Thus, in our disability insurance lawsuits, we represent our clients on a contingent fee basis. Our clients never pay us anything out-of-pocket; we advance all costs on the case-like insurance industry expert witnesses, court deposition fees, and electronic records subpoenas-and then we are paid entirely out of the recovery for the claimant. If your short-term or long-term disability claim has been wrongfully denied by your insurance company, turn to The Beasley Firm for a free, confidential consultation.
Call (215) 866-2424 to learn more about how our Philadelphia complex litigation attorneys can help you and your loved ones through this difficult time.
The largest defamation award in Pennsylvania history. The Beasley Firm sued the Philadelphia Inquirer and won $34 million on behalf of Richard Sprague, who was accused of quashing a murder investigation when he was acting as Philadelphia’s Assistant District Attorney.
Achieving record setting verdicts & settlements for over 60 years.
Over $2 billion awarded on behalf of our injured clients.
Listed in Best Law Firms and recognized by Best Lawyers in America.
Free case evaluations and contingent fees available.