Philadelphia Defamation Attorneys
Protecting Clients from Defamation, Libel & Slander Since 1958
We have all heard the phrase, "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me." While that may be a good approach to playground bullies, it certainly isn't as true when it comes to our careers, personal life, professional life, or business interests. Words can cause serious and costly damage.
Since 1958, The Beasley Firm has represented:
- Public figures
- Television personalities
- Business owners
- Others harmed by slanderous words
Our award-winning defamation attorneys are more than capable seeking justice and ensuring your reputation is protected. Since our founding, we have won over $2 billion on behalf of our clients.
Begin a free case evaluation with a Philadelphia defamation lawyer by calling (215) 866-2424!
Filing a Defamation Lawsuit in Philadelphia
Essentially, defamation is any statement that harms someone's reputation. If it is written, the defamation is called libel. If it is spoken, the defamation is called slander. While defamation is not legally considered a crime, it is legally considered a tort, meaning that it is a civil wrong. Defamation laws vary according to state, however it is generally accepted that the person being "defamed" must prove that the defamation was published in some way, that it was false, and that it harmed them. Defamation is not simply an offensive opinion, it is a false statement of fact about another person.
Defamation Case Victories
The Beasley Firm has years of experience handling defamation cases. In fact, one of our clients, a reporter, wrote a book about his experience with our founding attorney, Jim Beasley Sr., entitled "The Courtroom Cowboy." Attorney Jim Beasley Sr. was devoted to fighting for the truth. The firm today upholds his bold and unwavering position in matters of defamation, libel, and slander.
Here are just some of our awards that helped our clients clear their names:
- Sprague v. Philadelphia Newspapers, Inc.: $34 million libel verdict, the largest defamation award in Pennsylvania history. The Beasley Firm sued the Philadelphia Inquirer and won $34 million on behalf of Richard Sprague, who was accused of quashing a murder investigation when he was acting as Philadelphia's Assistant District Attorney.
- McDermott v. PNI: $6 million libel verdict in a case where The Beasley Firm represented Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice James McDermott after a newspaper series titled "Above the Law," accused Justice McDermott, and others on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, of corruption and unethical behavior. The jury deliberated for nine hours and awarded Justice McDermott $3 million compensatory and $3 million punitive damages.
- Cipriano v. PNI: CONFIDENTIAL settlement (the Philadelphia City Paper said it was "widely rumored to be for as much as $7 million"). This case is the only known time that a reporter sued his own employer for libel. Ralph Cipriano was a reporter at the Philadelphia Inquirer for over 20 years; while working the religion beat, he had uncovered massive corruption in the Catholic Church. When Cipriano tried to have the Inquirer publish his story exposing the Archdiocese for extravagant spending while at the same time closing parochial schools, the newspaper's editor refused to publish it. Reporter Cipriano had the article instead published in the National Catholic Reporter. When the newspaper's editor was asked why the Inquirer hadn't didn't publish the piece, Cipriano's boss accused him of writing false information.
- Laxalt v. Sacramento Bee: We represented then-Senator Paul Laxalt (R, Nev) against the Sacramento Bee, which reported that Laxalt was "skimming" profits from a casino in which he had an interest. For the first time in its history, the paper published a retraction and paid over $750,000.00.
- Hilary Koprowski, M.D. v. Rolling Stone Magazine: Dr. Koprowski is credited as being one of the creators of the polio vaccine. Rolling Stone magazine wrote an article accusing Dr. Koprowski of causing AIDS - the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) due to his work with monkeys on the Polio vaccine. We brought suit against Rolling Stone and, among other things, they published a detailed retraction to clear Dr. Koprowski's name.
- Substantial CONFIDENTIAL SETTLEMENT and a retraction for a prominent local attorney who was ambushed in his office and accused by the news media of not having the correct qualifications to operate the aircraft he unfortunately crashed. This case was significant in that we were able to have this attorney considered a private figure in spite of his prominence in the national legal community.
- Henne M.D. v. Thomas Jefferson University and Feldman, M.D.: CONFIDENTIAL SETTLEMENT for a libel suit against Dr. Henne's employer, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, for defaming the emergency room physician's name due to him refusing to preferentially direct patients away from their regular doctors and to Jefferson University to increase business to the hospital.
- Confidential Settlement for Rob Guarino: Former Fox Philly 29 News meteorologist and weatherman, and founder of www.liveweatherblogs.com against a former business partner who posted false and defaming comments about Mr. Guarino on the liveweatherblogs.com web site.
As you can see, our firm's extensive history in defamation law has led to many victories on our clients' behalf. We aggressively defend your name and fight to ensure your reputation is undamaged.
Clear Your Name with a Skilled Philadelphia Defamation Lawyer!
Doctors, journalists, business owners, attorneys, and political leaders have all turned to The Beasley Firm when they were defamed. Our success shows that we not only got compensation for them for their pain and losses, but also cleared their names. To date, our clients have been awarded over $2 billion in settlements and verdicts.
If you or a loved one has suffered due to defamation, libel, or slander, contact one of our experienced Philadelphia defamation attorneys at (215) 866-2424. We always offer a free, no obligation consultation. The cost of filing a defamation lawsuit is nothing compared to what you can receive with a successful case.
Please note that we normally represent clients with claims against major media companies, such as newspapers, television stations, magazines, and book publishers, and their employees. We do not typically pursue claims against individuals for Facebook comments, accusations in the workplace, etc.
Personal Injury $907,000,000
The largest judgment ever against a single individual, against Ira Einhorn for the murder of his girlfriend, Holly Maddux.
Personal Injury $104,000,000
$104 million for September 11 victims, the only September 11 verdict in history.
Medical Malpractice $100,000,000
The largest medical malpractice verdict in Pennsylvania history.
Medical Malpractice $55,000,000
2nd largest medical malpractice verdict in history.
Birth Injury $37,000,000
Jim Beasley, Sr. and Marsha Santangelo tried a six-week-long medical negligence case on behalf of a brain injured child.
Complex Litigation $34,000,000
The largest defamation award in Pennsylvania history.
Aviation Accidents $29,000,000
Record setting verdict for an airplane crash that involved a seat defect in a Cessna aircraft.
Medical Malpractice $20,500,000
Our firm used all its resources to obtain a highly publicized $20.5 million verdict for the family of a teenage woman.
Medical Malpractice $20,000,000
Jim led his team at The Beasley Firm to one of the largest malpractice recoveries in a very conservative county and in the history Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Personal Injury $16,250,000
We were able to invest over $400,000.00 in costs to prepare this file, allowing our attorneys to enter the courtroom with no stone unturned.
Achieving record setting verdicts & settlements for over 60 years.
Over $2 billion awarded on behalf of our injured clients.
Listed in Best Law Firms and recognized by Best Lawyers in America.
Free case evaluations and contingent fees available.