FAQ: What Does It Mean for Pennsylvania to Be a No-Fault State?

insurance adjusterIn many states, nearly all car accidents that occur, the injured party goes through the negligent party’s insurance company to pursue compensation. However, the state of Pennsylvania operates in a different manner, based on a no-fault system.

What does this mean for those involved in an accident?

Depending on the circumstances—particularly when there are no injuries and property damage is minor, both parties must handle the pursuit of compensation through their own insurance company. Minor accidents mean you don’t hold the other party accountable.

However, there are some situations that allow for injured individuals to pursue compensation from the other party. Here are the circumstances that may allow you to move forward with a claim against a negligent party.

When Can I File a Claim Against a Negligent Party?

In accidents where someone suffers significant damage to his or her vehicle, or when injuries sustained are considered serious and debilitating, no-fault states allow for the injured individual to file a claim with the negligent party’s insurance.

For instance, if you’re in an injury-causing accident and you suffer injuries such as head trauma, spinal cord injuries, or other significant forms of damage, you may file a claim to seek compensation from the negligent driver.

Understanding your rights in a no-fault state can help you protect yourself in the event that you have sustained an injury caused by someone else’s negligent actions. This means you can get compensation for the associated costs such as medical expenses, rehabilitation, and lost wages.

At The Beasley Firm, we recognize how these cases are handled. When you need help seeking the compensation you deserve, we’re ready to advocate on your behalf, going the extra mile to get you the results you need.

Our Philadelphia personal injury attorneys can fully explain what options you have to move forward with a claim and / or legal action. Let us be your voice when you need it most.

To discuss your case in a free consultation, we encourage you to contact our firm today at (215) 866-2424.