Types and Levels of Burn Injuries
A burn injury is very serious, often causing physical and emotional pain. There are a number of different causes of burn injuries and depending on the situation, burns can be designated as different types and degrees. The type of burn describes how the burn occurs and the degree is how serious it actually is. Whether you work as a chef or industrial, or you are an electrician, understanding the potential risks of burns is important.
Types of Burns
The types of burns sustained vary depending on the source. They can include the following:
- Thermal burns: These typically derive from explosions, any type of flame, scolding liquids, or direct contact with any hot material.
- Chemical burns: When acidic or alkali substances contact skin, it can cause a burn that requires special care.
- Radiological burns: These occur when the skin is exposed to radiation for an extended period of time. Decontamination is often required. This is least likely to occur.
- Electrical burns: These burns are caused by contact with electrical currents and can often result in internal damages as well.
Degree of Burns
The degree of the burns increase as the damages do. These are often determined based on the symptoms showing on the victim.
- First degree: Burns in the first degree are the least damaging, often just resulting in red skin. There are typically no blisters caused by first-degree burns.
- Second degree: Blisters tend to occur with second-degree burns and the affected skin will thicken. There can be a need for grafting if the skin suffers a full thickness burn.
- Third degree: Considered the most serious of the burns, it can cause a white color on the overall thickened skin.
There is a fourth degree that doesn’t always get discussed, but this occurs when the burns cause a significant amount of damage, even harming the tendons and bones.
At The Beasley Firm, we believe victims of burn injuries caused by negligence deserve strong representation in order to seek the compensation they deserve. We stand in our clients corners every step of the way. With our Philadelphia burn injury attorneys in your corner, you can have peace of mind that knowledgeable, experienced advocates are fighting for your rights.
Call our firm today and get your free consultation.