Philadelphia Aviation Accident Lawyers
Injured in an Airplane Accident? Call (215) 866-2424 for a Free Case Evaluation!
Aviation disasters are some of the most terrifying accidents that can occur. Whether you were injured in a commercial airliner, private aircraft, or helicopter, The Beasley Firm finds answers and gets the results our clients need.
The Beasley Firm has decades of multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements for clients across the country against aircraft manufacturers, engine manufacturers, air traffic controllers, flight schools, and maintenance facilities. Even when the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) will not investigate beyond the pilot, The Beasley Firm goes the extra mile to discover the true cause of the accident.
Contact an experienced team of aircraft accident attorneys in Philadelphia by calling The Beasley Firm at (215) 866-2424.
Jim Beasley, Attorney & Licensed Pilot
A significant benefit to The Beasley Firm’s aviation clients is that Jim Beasley Jr. is a highly experienced commercial pilot with over 30 years’ experience, and hold commercial, multi-engine, and instrument ratings. He has over 7,000 real flight hours in dozens of complex and unforgiving aircraft types, including World War II fighters, such as the iconic P-51 Mustang and the Supermarine Spitfire, and the Korean War F-86 Sabre fighter jet. Jim presently owns and operates a P-51 Mustang, a Socata TBM850, and other vintage aircraft, and has litigated cases involving aircraft with which he has particular expertise, including multiple claims involving the TBM series aircraft.
Attorney Beasley's insatiable passion for flight comes from his father, the late Jim Beasley Sr., a legendary lawyer and founder of The Beasley Firm. This passion lends thorough insight into each aviation case we take on, including the structure and workings of a plane and the problems that can occur while in flight. As a result, our firm has fought successfully against even the largest of the world's corporations.
A History of Successfully Representing Aviation Accident Claims Across the Nation
Since 1958, The Beasley Firm has been nationally recognized for setting the benchmark in the fields of aviation disasters, in-flight airline injuries, airport premises liability, helicopter accidents, and catastrophic injury. We have represented victims of the most serious and high-profile aviation accidents, including the accident that took the life of Senator John Heinz.
Review some of our top aviation case results below:
- Guanere et al v. Cessna: In 1984, in the landmark case of Guanere et al v. Cessna, Jim Beasley secured a verdict of $29 million dollars for the Guanere family after he proved that a defective airplane part was the cause of the crash and resulting death. Mr. Beasley also proved that the manufacturer, Cessna, had carelessly installed the defective part in approximately 175,000 aircraft. This was the largest verdict (at the time) ever awarded against an aviation company.
- Smith v. Republic of Iraq et al: Our aviation expertise was an important part of our successful lawsuit assessing responsibility for the September 11 attacks - the only September 11 verdict in history. The Beasley Firm won a $104 million verdict in 2003 on behalf of the families of victims during the 9/11 attacks.
Presently, The Beasley Firm is investigating a deadly crash in which a pilot was blamed by the NTSB even though it is known that an engine problem had caused the same accident in the past. In aviation accident cases, we investigate all aspects of the case to ensure that we hold the proper parties responsible for their actions.
Contact The Beasley Firm to ensure knowledgeable, skilled and aggressive representation from our Philadelphia aviation accident lawyers: (215) 866-2424.
Causes of Airplane Accidents
Airplane accidents are caused by a variety of factors. It takes a firm with expertise and thorough investigative tactics to effectively get to the bottom of such crashes.
- Pilot Error - There are a high number of aviation crashes caused by pilot error such as misreading equipment, failure to execute safety checks, navigating through rough weather conditions, or the inability to recognize mechanical error. Unfortunately, these errors can lead to the injuries of all those on board. Because of the height at which planes and helicopters travel, the injuries sustained can be either catastrophic or even fatal.
- Mechanical Error - Whether the problem is an issue with manufacturing or there is a problem with the system on the plane or helicopter, mechanical errors can come in numerous forms. In some situations, there may be issues with detecting altitude or engine issues. There may be outside issues as well, that cause a problem when flying.
- Air Traffic Control - When planes take off or land, they are directed by air traffic control towers to ensure they are safe and no other obstacles are in the plane’s way. Failure to properly ensure safety can lead to a crash. This could also occur when planes are directed to land on an occupied runway or if the aircrafts collide in the air.
- Failure to Maintain - Before a plane or helicopter takes off, it should be properly maintained. Systems and gears should be checked to ensure they are working correctly. The aircraft should also be properly loaded, as well as fueled so the aircraft can make the intended trip without an issue.
Aviation crashes are very damaging, and our Philadelphia aviation accident attorneys at The Beasley Firm are here to help injury victims get the results they desire.
Take a look at some other common causes of airplane accidents:
- Instrument failure
- Tire failure
- Defective landing gear
- Fuel mismanagement
- Inadequate training
- Mid-air collisions
- Inclement weather
- Metallurgical failures
- Improper inspections
- Poor fuel
- Inadequate security
- Improper flight training
- Medical issues
- Design defects
The majority of aircraft accidents occur in small or private airplanes and helicopters. Sightseeing helicopter accidents and Medivac aircraft accidents are occurring with increased frequency. The Beasley Firm has a highly qualified team of experienced pilots, investigators, accident reconstructionists, and Philadelphia aviation accident lawyers dedicated to evaluating your claim.
Liability in Aviation Accidents
In any legal case in which a victim sustains an injury, one of the most important things to do is determine liability. In aviation cases, there are a number of individuals who may be considered liable for the injuries sustained. Our team at The Beasley Firm understands how to prove liability and what needs to be taken into account to help an injury victim seek compensation after an accident.
- A Duty of Care - In order to show liability, it begins with proving that the negligent party had a duty of care to keep the victim or victims from harm. In terms of aviation accidents, this means that the individual or company had a duty to ensure the safety of all passengers prior to the flight taking off.
- A Breach in the Duty of Care - Liability continues in proving there was a breach in the duty of care. For instance, a pilot who is supposed to perform safety checks as their duty of care. If the pilot fails to complete their check, it can be shown that he or she was in breach of their duty to provide care.
- The Breach Resulted in an Accident - It’s not enough to show that the responsible party breached their duty of care, but it needs to be proven that the breach resulted in a crash. An example of this would be improper maintenance in which a plane or helicopter is not fueled up correctly and the aircraft crashing due to the lack of fuel. This means the failure to provide care caused the accident.
- The Accident Directly Caused the Injury - Similar to auto accidents, it must be shown that the accident directly caused the injury or injuries sustained. The victims may be able to take legal action against the responsible party as this proves liability in aviation accidents.
Our Philadelphia aviation accident lawyers help injury victims and the families of decedents take legal action when they need it most.
Upholding Our Legendary Name. Contact The Beasley Firm!
For the past 60 years, The Beasley Firm has been a legendary national leader in the areas of aviation law, catastrophic injuries, and wrongful death. The firm has been successful in winning awards for our clients totaling well over $2 billion dollars. We prepare every case for trial so that we are always one step ahead of the opposition.
Our dedication to preparation and excellence has been the foundation for our success. If you or a loved one have experienced an aviation accident of any kind, don't hesitate to enlist our help. Our passion for aviation coupled with our legal expertise can effectively guide you through this complicated time.
Learn more about how our Philadelphia firm can help you by calling (215) 866-2424!
This was a record setting verdict for an airplane crash that involved a seat defect in a Cessna aircraft. The defective seat caused the pilot’s seat to slide backwards while the pilot was attempting to land, causing the pilot to lose control of the airplane and crash.
Achieving record setting verdicts & settlements for over 60 years.
Over $2 billion awarded on behalf of our injured clients.
Listed in Best Law Firms and recognized by Best Lawyers in America.
Free case evaluations and contingent fees available.